Wednesday, November 12, 2008

 
Pose one I found to be a more successful drawing than others because of it's line variation, some anatomical description, and foreshortening.  I  used line fairly well in this drawing even though the drawing got kind of dark throughout the torso causing more of an outline in the figure than I was hoping to create.  I had problems placing the rib cage because it should have been more exaggerated.  However, I used lighter valued lines in the legs because the model was sitting and the weight was off her feet.  I included anatomical landmarks such as the ribcage and the pelvis and attempted to use contour lines to give the figure some volume.  I also felt that I showed foreshortening of the legs fairly quite successfully.  I think I need some work on learning how to place the rib cage and the pelvis, I at times have a hard time visualizing these in the body and in certain poses, especially when they are tilted.  I could also work on exaggerating the pose so that the drawing has more life and is more believable.  
Pose two is not exactly the most successful of the three drawings, I find it to be quite elongated, however, I felt I was somewhat successful in placing the ribcage and the pelvis.  This was a shorter drawing so I didn't have a lot of time to revise and perfect the drawing and it was left fairly minimal.  There is good line variation, but it could have been used more successfully to describe the pose, weight and depth.  Pose three is not the most successful anatomically, I worked to place the pelvis and ribcage correctly, however, there is an awkwardness about each of those areas as some of the planes stick out further than they should.  However, in some areas the proportions seem correct, and the spinal column appears to be right and is exaggerated to capture the feeling of the pose and emphasize the weight she is holding in her back.  Again, the torso is somewhat elongated and that could have been corrected.  I again used somewhat successful line variation but it could have been used a little more successfully.  I think this drawing got a little heavy in the outlines of the anatomical landmarks.  Life drawing has been a great challenge and it has taught me a lot in how to see.  It's frustrating at times to be able to see something but it doesn't always translate into the drawing, I'd like to improve on this as well as better line variation for the sake of describing something rather than for the sake of line variation.  I'd also like to improve on exaggerating the poses.  I have a large room for improvement but from seeing where I began,  I think in the time left in the semester it is possible to improve more.  

1 comment:

Amy Fichter [xenia elizabeth] said...

Jennie,
These drawings are quite strong. I know we talked about your use of line in class last week, but it really does add so much vitality and expression to the drawings. Overall, these show a good understanding of the body, too. Excellent work.