I've not really found a blog that I've been overly interested in, I rely on their outside of class blogging to grab my attention, however most of the class does not seem to blog very often or about anything that is not required. I do think there are people doing a good job, Mark and Shelly seem to be quite successful. They have posted fairly consistently and continue to do so. However, I don't know that my attention was grabbed or held.
I have enjoyed blogging for the most part, it has given me an opportunity to practice writing and inform others of important happenings. I also enjoy looking at other student's blogs but I wish there was more to look at. I think it is important to keep up with these blogs as they can be a great way to give and get feedback as well as get your work seen by other people outside of the institution. It is frustrating to give feedback and offer suggestions or questions and not get a reply, or to never have feedback on my blog. I think a great number of students are not participating in other students blog so when this happens we a missing out on important conversations and it makes me wonder if the blogs are hurting rather than helping when we could be having conversations in the classroom rather than relying on the blogs. I don't know if people need a way of being held accountable or if it's just not a priority. It is fairly easy to blog about something you care about or something you are interested in. If a person is behind in the class, if their maniken is not complete, a blog can always be created about something other than life drawing, or a comment could always be given to other classmates.
At this point in the semester I've commented a few times on each group member's blog. I think I've done a fairly good job in commenting on other posts. The comments I leave are of good quality, offering a lot of thought and questions for the poster to think about and improve on. However, I'm not sure that these group members have received their comments because they never replied. I have received only a couple comments on the very first post I did for the class presenting my current body of work, since this post I've only had comments from people who are not even taking the class. I have not replied to these comments because they these comments lacked a bit of depth leaving me very little to discuss with my fellow classmates.
I don't think there is a lot that I am dying to post that I haven't. There are many things I could think of to post about and will continue to post about things of interest to me and hopefully to others. If I could give a blog assignment to the class I would assign everyone to post about an artist they reference in their work or find particularly interesting, they could give some information about the artist as well as images of their work. Another assignment that might be interesting would be to have each student go to an art exhibition and write a review or response to the show.
The blog I am keeping is of pretty high quality, I've done a good job of posting about miscellaneous or art-related content rather than only sticking to assigned posts. The quality of images are of good quality as well. The nature of the class, however, does prevent a person from having the greatest quality images. You must resort to a point and shoot to quickly get an image of your drawings or clay model to post the constantly changing content. I've continued to stay up to date on group member's blogs and have commented where I felt I could. I think my blog is especially helpful to classmates in that I've informed people of current shows at stout as well in the minneapolis area. I've taken the blog pretty seriously by thinking about people outside of the class looking at my blog. I wouldn't want to have my name attached to something that wasn't of a good quality.
1 comment:
thanks, jennie. i agree, shelley and marc have kept interesting blogs--and you, too. yours is an example i will use as i move into next semester and try to work out some of the bugs.
Post a Comment