
Hello. My name is Jennie Ekstrand, I am a studio art major concentrating in sculpture. I am originally from Blaine, Minnesota. I have about a year and a half left here at Stout and then hopefully on to grad school. (the photo on the left is a still of myself and Patrick Gantert from a new video work called Yeah Yeah Whatever (that's what you always say) by Tectonic Industries. The video will be in a show at the college of visual arts in St. Paul, MN called I'm Holding on for that Teenage Feeling running from October 30th to November 22nd 2008.
In the last year my work has concerned itself with mainly themes of memory and loss. With the death of my father in September 2005, I found a fascination with the memory of my father as well as the memories I have of my childhood. One of the first projects I completed dealing with this was You Have Your Father's Eyes, a series of 27 polaroid photographs of myself dressed as my father. I was interested in the passing down of traits, as well as objects when a person passes away.
I continued exploring similar ideas with Paintings done as my dad that he would have painted and titled Untitled 1-16, a series of acrylic on wood paintings. I created these paintings while attempting to be my dad. I dressed like him, and thought like him. I decided he would be a painter and he would be inspired by the plaid fabrics he wore. Without being an "Educated" artist, he found himself fitting in with the painting dialogue, drawing references from modernist painters like Mondrian.
be a total of 103 panels.
2 comments:
Hello Jenny,
I am very impressed by the professionalism of your blog! Everything is described in detail and lends into the meaning of what you've done. I almost feel as though I'm on your actual website rather than just a blog.
One of my concerns as a fellow artist is how to professionally represent myself. Seeing the way you set up this blog helps me to think about better ways to present my work.
I feel that you do very well with having conceptual substance.
Hi Jenny!
Your work is absolutely superb! You definitely have a creative eye. I am really interested in your pieces on your dad, that is a big focus in my painting series this year. I would love to see more!
Also, this year i have been working on getting involved more in the Art department, I am actually joining FAA! I couldn't make it to last week's meeting, but I will see you this Friday!
Keep up the amazing work!!!
Post a Comment