Thursday, December 18, 2008


Life drawing one gave me a lot of new knowledge. I am pretty surprised by how much I have improved at drawing.
Before I started this class I felt like I utilized line variation in most of my drawings but I think that by taking this class I've learned a lot about how much it really does improve a drawing. By using line variation I've found that it can describe poses and feelings simply by changing the characteristics of the line you use.

I've also learned how to better figure proportions. I've always struggled with that but I think that I've improved a lot when it comes to that and understanding how forms of the body relate to other forms. Life drawing also taught me a little more about how to draw with some confidence, I've noticed that by not being afraid to put a mark down and always moving, a successful drawing can come of it. We were also taught a lot about the body, the muscles, and bone structures. In other drawing classes we are told to draw what we see, life drawing has taught me that it is important to have a greater knowledge of what you're drawing and understanding what it is you can't see. Understanding bones and muscles helps me to understand what is it that I do see.


Throughout the semester we built muscles. This is the one section of the class that I think I learned from but did not utilize as much as I should have. It was a struggle for me to understand the muscles and how to translate the muscles from the book onto my 3d model. In the end, I really should have spent more time on it and slowed down in the building of the muscles. I wish I could have found some enjoyment in the building of muscles but instead it became a chore. I also struggled with understanding what I'm missing. I ran into some problems where I had to remove muscles, and without a great knowledge of the muscles I found I was lost in trying to find out what I was missing. If there is one thing I could still improve on it would be perfecting the understanding of muscles, and building them in 3d.


In past classes self portraits are something I would dread. Life drawing gave me a lot of confidence when it came to tackling drawing myself. Even thought my features are a little off, I think I did a good job making certain lines describe the shape of my face and making it look less flat. Overall, I think my self portrait is fairly successful. The top of the ear is a little awkward, we didn't learn the ear in class so I found myself making up the drawing of it. It really showed me how important the demos in class are and how much it helped me to draw eyes, nose, and mouth. I would have liked to see more structure in the face because I think at some points in the cheeks get flat.


No comments: